« Home | Burlesque Kanzashi » | Checkered Pouch » | Fun Items » 

20 March, 2005

Hanhaba Obi and Two Piece Juban

For Hatsume Festival this year, I really wanted to wear one of the light blue kimono that I have, that has random smatterings of pink flowers over it. The only problem was: I didn't have a matching obi. So - straight to the fabric shop I went to look for some fabric!

I was lucky that I found a pink fabric that matched the pink in my kimono perfect. What more - it was a nice subtle plaid. The kimono and obi together made me think of the new, modern way of wearing vintage kimono I've seen on Japanese websites. I tried to make a bag out of the same fabric to match - but my sewing machine needle broke, and it was already 1.30am on the morning I had to dress in kimono.

A close-up of the patterns:


Front (my husband and I are on the right side)


Back view:



I was quite happy with how the outfit pulled together, and I received many compliments at the festival.


The week before - I worked on a juban I already owned. I had received the juban in a box of damaged kimono to be used for fabric. At first I loathed the colour of it...but over time it grew upon me. I decided not to cut it up early on in the game especially considering it was in great condition. I figured I could use it for costume design or something similar. The only problem with it - it fitted me everywhere perfect...except it only came to just below my knees...instead of above my ankle.

At last, I finally got enough courage to attempt to re-construct it into a two-piece juban. I personally find two-piece juban much more comfortable to wear - and, it lends hope to those of us who are taller (I'm only 165cm - but by kimono standards - that is huge! yikes).

A lovely friend of mine who lives in Holland sent me photographs with measurements of her two-piece juban. It was quite useful, as she is taller than I am so I was able to make it to fit. I had to try to keep as much fabric in the skirt part as I could. To achieve this. I cut the top of the juban shorter, and added white cotton around the bottom to give it length. I then added white cotton to the top of the juban skirt to give it a bit of extra length and ties.

I was very happy with the outcome!



E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment

 

About PuchiMaiko

  • Unique Kimono Fabric Kanzashi, Fashion Accessories, Chirimen Zaiku and Craft Supplies inspired by the Traditional Arts and Culture of the Japanese Geisha, Maiko and Kimono.
  • About PuchiMaiko
  • Who is PuchiMaiko?
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates